Meralco assures Senate that consumers only pay for actual consumption

Share

Manila Electric Co. assured lawmakers that customers are only charged for electricity they actually consumed and pledged that the Philippines’ largest power distributor will clarify concerns caused by estimated bills between March and May, the period when the government imposed an enhanced community quarantine to contain the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Meralco President Atty. Ray C. Espinosa told the Senate Committee on Energy headed by Senator Sherwin Gatchalian that a clarificatory letter will be sent out to customers soon, particularly those whose meters were read in May but whose bills contain a ‘previous reading that is actually based on estimated March and/or April consumption.

“But let me assure the chair and the committee members, and the public that there is no intention on the part of Meralco to charge a customer and have that customer pay more than the actual consumption registered in the meter,” said Atty. Espinosa. He pointed out that Meralco strictly adheres to government rules as implemented by the ERC.

Atty. Espinosa apologized for Meralco’s “short comings…as far as the May bills are concerned…(which) has really caused confusion because of estimates.”

Meralco had earlier issued several explanations through various traditional and social media platforms to detail the bill estimations done for March, April and, in some cases, May in compliance with the Energy Regulatory Commission rules for cases when meter readers can’t be deployed. Even with Meralco’s earlier bulletins, a number of the power distributor’s over six million customers still complained given the shock caused by charges for several months that are lumped together.

Senator Risa Hontiveros appreciated Meralco’s decision to allow customers to settle the bills during the quarantine period in equal installments of up to six months as advised by the ERC, but underscored the confusion caused by letters sent to customers in June.

Atty. Espinosa said Meralco even went beyond the coverage of ERC’s advisory, which only starts from Mar. 16 and ends on May 31. He said Meralco even included customer bills due from Mar. 1.

He also said that Meralco has implemented a moratorium on service disconnection until Sept. 30 this year. Atty. Espinosa also announced that the company will now shoulder the Meralco Online convenience fee for online payments, for the entire ECQ and GCQ period, and will correspondingly refund the amount paid by customers when they previously settled their electricity bills.

Philippines Graphic
Philippines Graphichttps://philippinesgraphic.com.ph/
Started in 1927, the Philippines Graphic is the longest-running printed magazine of national circulation that provides relevant news and features and promotes Philippine literature.

Read More

Why feeling like yourself again matters more than looking like someone else—Cosma Institute

More Filipinos are redefining what it means to invest in themselves. According to multi-awarded aesthetic physician Dr. James Co, Architect of Aesthetic Confidence and founder of Cosma Institute, confidence has quietly become...

SM Foundation’s Albert Uy honored at AFP Medical Center Stakeholders’ Night 2026

VIA GRAPHIC PLUS — SM Foundation, Inc. Project Manager for Health and Medical Programs Mr. Albert Uy was recognized during the Stakeholders’ Night 2026 to honor valued partners of the Medical Center,...

TP in the Philippines celebrates 30 years with 9th consecutive Great Place to Work® Certification

VIA GRAPHIC PLUS | Manila, Philippines (August 2026) – TP in the Philippines, a global leader in digital business services, has been certified as a Great Place to Work® for the ninth...

Gentry Open 2026 opens with a bigger vision for Philippine tennis

VIA GRAPHIC PLUS | SAN JOSE DEL MONTE, BULACAN — The second Gentry Open officially opened today at the Colegio de San Agustin Tennis Stadium, bringing together more than 1,600 registered players...