It all started in 1927 when a Filipino publisher named Ramon Roces put up a weekly magazine that offered considerable pages for Tagalog literary pieces.
- Advertisement -
Edited by Tagalog novelist Agustin C. Fabian, the Graphic popularized this literary tradition until it was shut down during the Japanese occupation.
The magazine was revived in 1948 and was called the Kislap-Graphic, later returning to its original name The Graphic, this time publishing the works of Filipino writers in English.
Ramon Roces would over time be known as the grand old man of Philippine popular publishing and “Komiks King.”
In the 60s, ownership of the Graphic was transferred to industrialist J. Antonio Araneta, when it became both a political and literary publication. Martial Law in 1972 closed down the magazine again, together with dozens of newspapers and magazines during that period.
The Graphic once again transferred ownership in 1990 and was reborn as the Philippine Graphic. Owned by the late media mogul-businessman and philanthropist Ambassador Antonio L. Cabangon Chua and his family. It had National Artist Nick Joaquin as its first editor-in-chief and Juan P. Dayang as its first publisher.
From 1990 to the present, the Philippines Graphic has stood the test of time as the longest-running and only existing magazine that is printed weekly and distributed nationwide.
We thank all our loyal readers and supporters over the decades who have shown their love for Philippine literature and the news by patronizing the Philippines Graphic.
Positivity is our best feature.
Started in 1927, the Philippines Graphic continues to highlight the best in the Filipino at every difficult juncture of our nation’s history. It is in stories of the human condition that we strive to speak the truth.