“Huwag magpaloko, Huwag magpagoyo!” (Don’t be deceived. Don’t be duped!)
This was the stern warning of Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) General Manager Alexander Balutan regarding the continued illegal operations of the “pereyahan ng bayan” by Globaltech Mobile Online Corp.
Balutan stood firm that the peryahan is no longer recognized or authorized by PCSO and thus it is operating illegally.
Balutan said the PCSO together with law enforcement agencies such as the NBI will not be deterred by the DOJ’s resolution from implementing crackdowns against peryahan operations nationwide.
On March 2, 2016, PCSO issued a Board Resolution 51, Series of 2016, terminating the Deed of Authority (DOA) of Globaltech to operate peryahan and on October 13, 2017, the Pasig City Regional Trial Court (RTC), Branch 161 denied Globaltech’s motion for issuance of a writ of injunction.
“We are going all out to stop illegal gambling activities throughout the country, to protect our legal gaming products, particularly the STL,” Balutan said.
Globaltech’s permit was terminated in 2016 due to supposed non-remittance of earnings worth about P100 million.
Last month, the NBI and PCSO representatives raided the office of Globaltech in Quezon City that resulted to the arrest of 57 people involved in the illegal activity. More operations conducted in Cebu and Mandaue with the arrest of 40 suspects.
All suspects were charged for violating Republic Act (RA) 9287 (Act to Increase Penalties Against Illegal Numbers Games). Some of the suspects were also facing charges for violation of RA 10175 (Cyber Crime Prevention Act).
Unfortunately, the DOJ prosecutors had dismissed the charges against the Quezon City suspects, citing an alleged “status quo ante” issued by a court.
Globaltech has sought for a Writ of Injunction but this was dismissed by the same court on October 13, 2017.