The 2nd Annual Writers Workshop
Aug. 26-27, 2023 • Tagaytay City
Now Accepting Applications!
Do you have a finished manuscript—perhaps a short story, a memoir, an essay, or a collection of poems—that you’d like workshopped in a safe and compassionate environment?
Women Writing is accepting applications to its annual writers’ workshop, from now through June 27.
The workshop is an overnight weekend retreat in Tagaytay City on Aug. 26-27, 2023.
The final selection is limited to ten (10) writers, who will be judged on the merit and promise of their work.
The ten participants will receive feedback from Marjorie Evasco and Rica Bolipata-Santos, two of the country’s finest writing teachers & workshop facilitators.
Each writer is entitled to one full hour of constructive oral critique, an optional 20-minute one-on-one consultation with her mentor, as well as written feedback.
Women Writing seeks to empower women through the joy of writing.
We strive to create a safe, inclusive environment for our writers by honoring their work with kindness, honesty, care, and rigor.
In addition to the individual workshops, we look forward to a weekend of lively craft conversations and building camaraderie and community with fellow writers.
• The workshop is open to women only.
• Only manuscripts in English will be considered at this time.
• Writers may apply by submitting work in prose or poetry.
• Admission is limited to ten (10) writers and is based on the merit and promise of the work.
• Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the time of the workshop.
• The application deadline is at midnight (Philippine time) on June 27. All applicants will be notified of decisions via email on the weekend of July 28.
• Applicants may choose from one of the following categories:
3. Creative Nonfiction
• Submissions will be read blind. It’s important that the author’s identity is withheld during the pre-selection process.
On the uploaded file itself, please remove all references to the author’s name.
The tagline of the manuscript file should only say the genre you are applying in, followed by the title.
Example: Nonfiction, “The Bells of Balangiga”
• Entries that exceed the prescribed page count or include the author’s name anywhere on the manuscript will be automatically disqualified.
• Applicants should send their strongest work. The manuscript submitted is the work that will be critiqued at the workshop.
WOMEN WRITING 2023 GETAWAY RETREAT
PhP15,000.00 (inclusive of tax)
• Includes tuition & handouts, overnight accommodations, and all meals.
• Participants are responsible for their own travel expenses.
• Once the list of final participants is announced, full payment is required on or before Aug. 11, 2023. In the event a finalist withdraws her application, the next writer on the waiting list will fill her position.
• Full refunds will be processed until Aug. 15, 2023. Beyond that, only 30% of the workshop fee will be reimbursed.
• For other inquiries, contact Meg Roxas through email@example.com.
FOR SUBMISSIONS IN FICTION, NONFICTION, CREATIVE NONFICTION, AND MEMOIR:
Prose manuscripts must be typed double-spaced in 12 pt. Times New Roman font and with one-inch margins.
The total word count should be noted at the top of the first page.
Applicants may include one or more stories as long as the total number of pages is within the 20-page limit.
Include a short note to let readers know if the piece stands on its own as a short story or essay, or if it is an excerpt from a longer project.
Manuscripts excerpted from a longer project should include a one-page synopsis placed at the back of the piece (the synopsis can be single-spaced and does not count toward the 20-page limit).
FOR SUBMISSIONS IN POETRY:
Poetry manuscripts must be typed single-spaced in 12 pt. Times New Roman.
Please submit no more than 5 poems.
A poem can exceed one page, as long as the complete manuscript submission is within the 20-page limit.
Please do not squeeze more than one poem to a page.
Deadline for all submissions: June 27, 2023 midnight Manila time
Admission notifications will go out via email on the weekend of July 28, 2023.